Tuesday 12 November 2013

DIY chest of drawers into shelving unit

We needed a place to store all the crockery, cutlery etc that is used every week for family night. Each Monday night we have about 15-18 people and 10-12 children for dinner. We have three groups. Every 3 weeks the group that is rostered on does the set-up, cooking and clean up. This works very well and the food is always delicious. I decided to make a cupboard unit especially for the family night utensils. My daughter had given me an old chest of drawers that she no longer needed and I had one the same. I used these as my basic cupboard and then built shelves to join the drawers together. I removed the drawers and built shelves where they were. I left in the top drawers and this was used to store the tablecloths and drink holders. One of our friends Thomas is a carpenter. He and is wife Angela come to family night and he kindly helped finish off the woodwork. I used some marine ply as the first layer on the top and then a piece of hardiflex and then on top of this I glued the cream tiles. Thomas then put a beading around the edge to finish it off. I was happy with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment